Skip to content

Navajo Street Art

January 12, 2011

A few weeks ago I went on an epic road trip down to Mexico and I had the good fortune of stumbling onto these awesome wheatpastes while driving through the Navajo reservations in northern Arizona. I found out they are by a Navajo artist who goes by the name Jetsonorama, and I saw them pasted all over the abandoned buildings, water towers, shanties, signs, etc. out in the desert. It was really interesting to see street art placed in a rural context like this, and they created quite an impact by monumentalizing the people of the native american community.

You can see more of his work at – http://speakingloudandsayingnothing.blogspot.com – which is very reminiscent of the prolific artwork of French wheatpaste artist JR – http://www.jr-art.net

7 Comments leave one →
  1. August 23, 2011 8:44 PM

The artist is not a Navajo–he’s a Tuba City-based doctor who works on the reservation…

• Nick Pedersen permalink
      August 25, 2011 12:41 PM

From what I researched about him online I assumed he was Navajo, my apologies.

2. January 23, 2011 4:43 PM

Great piece of facts that you’ve obtained on this web site publish. Hope I will get some much more of the stuff in your weblog. I will appear again.

• The Slingluff Gallery permalink*
      January 23, 2011 6:48 PM

Thank you IP Camera! If you want, you can subscribe to us at the top right, we’ll be constantly posting more and more!

3. January 15, 2011 11:20 AM

Loving this stuff. It’s interesting to see wheat pastes in that open of an environment.

• The Slingluff Gallery permalink*
      January 20, 2011 11:19 AM

Agreed Jason. It totally changes the feel of the wheat pasting. The size helps a lot with how dramatic it is.

Trackbacks